The esteemed African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is ushering in the future of machine intelligence research in Africa by announcing the commencement of applications for its African Masters of Machine Intelligence (AMMI) Programme for 2023/2024. This program is a cornerstone for budding AI enthusiasts, crafted meticulously to usher in a new era of machine intelligence experts who will not only shape the continent’s AI trajectory but also make groundbreaking strides on a global scale.
AMMI: Vision and Scope
The primary essence of AMMI revolves around equipping its graduates with in-depth knowledge, both theoretical and practical, in the realm of Machine Intelligence (MI). While laying a solid foundation in basic MI research is paramount, the program also emphasizes the tangible development of a multitude of applications. These applications, futuristic in their outlook, aim to cater to the immediate and prospective requirements of both Africa and the international community.
It is the institute’s firm belief that AMMI alumni will emerge as the torchbearers of MI in Africa. Whether they opt to innovate within leading R&D labs across the continent or choose to extend their expertise globally, their contributions are set to fortify the African MI and broader scientific communities. The ultimate aspiration? Pioneering global advancements that resonate with the welfare of humanity.
AIMS acknowledges the financial challenges that might deter potential talents. Therefore, every student fortunate enough to secure a seat in the AMMI program is automatically endowed with a full scholarship, ensuring that financial constraints never hinder their academic pursuits.
The program has a stringent eligibility framework to ensure that only the most promising candidates are nurtured:
- A recognized bachelor’s degree in domains such as mathematics, computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering from an accredited institution.
- A commendable academic track record, typically showcasing a minimum average grade of B (or 80%) or superior.
- A keen interest or prior experience in artificial intelligence and machine learning, as demonstrated through relevant coursework or projects.
- An obligation to mentor an undergraduate from their alma mater while enrolled at AMMI and a commitment to guide an AMMI pupil post-graduation.
- An unwavering passion for leveraging science and technology to address pressing national or continental challenges.
Prospective AMMI candidates must ensure they possess their original academic credentials upon joining the campus. The application dossier should encompass:
- Transcripts: All official transcripts, spanning every post-secondary institution, inclusive of summer terms and extended programs. Non-English or French transcripts should be complemented with certified English translations.
- References: A minimum of three references. It’s imperative to notify these recommenders as they would be approached for a recommendation letter, evaluating the candidate’s intellectual prowess, research aptitude, character, and prior academic feats.
- Personal Statement: A concise narrative (max 500 words) portraying one’s academic trajectory, achievements in AI, ambitions, and other AI-related accolades.
- Background Summary: Optionally, candidates can submit a succinct 90-second video, ensuring clarity in both visuals and audio.
Embark on this transformative academic journey by applying directly on the AIMS AMMI application portal.
For a comprehensive overview of the program, delve into the official AMMI Programme site.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2023
AIMS African Masters of Machine Intelligence stands as a testament to Africa’s commitment to pioneering AI research. If you’re an AI aficionado aspiring to revolutionize the domain on a continental and global scale, this is the academic platform you’ve been waiting for.
All the best in your pursuit!