The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is once again inviting ambitious doctoral students from across the globe to join its esteemed Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP) for 2024. This exclusive summer initiative, tailored for those at the peak of their research studies, offers participants a golden chance to delve deeper into topics that resonate with the ongoing research at IIASA.
About the YSSP: An Overview
IIASA’s YSSP, a legacy in itself, occurs annually between 1 June and 31 August. During this period, up to 50 Ph.D. students worldwide find themselves amidst the institute’s renowned research environment.
Ideally suited for those approximately 2 years away from obtaining their Ph.., this program aims at scholars working on themes that align with IIASA’s extensive research agenda. A unique feature of the YSSP is its emphasis on discerning the policy implications of the participants’ works.
Under the watchful eyes and guidance of seasoned IIASA scientists, attendees will experience an unparalleled interdisciplinary and international research atmosphere. The outcome? A comprehensive paper, potentially the precursor to a journal publication, and an enriched network of contacts for future collaborative endeavors within IIASA’s global expanse.
Understanding the financial constraints that many young scholars face, IIASA ensures that participation in the YSSP is financially feasible for all:
- Predominantly, National Member Organizations (NMOs) furnish grants, thereby facilitating the participation of either their nationals or foreign scholars enrolled in their respective countries.
- Post the evaluation process, all selected applicants are promptly informed regarding their funding status.
- However, those who do not fall under the NMO scholarship bracket should proactively seek alternative funding sources, be it from their respective institutions or other avenues.
- Notably, IIASA reserves a limited fund pool for outstanding candidates from non-NMO nations, bestowed during the selection phase.
IIASA’s YSSP is an inclusive program, but there are certain prerequisites:
- It is designed for Ph.D. students (ideally 2 years from their Ph.D. culmination) whose research topics mirror the research pursuits at IIASA.
- While the program welcomes applicants from all nationalities, priority is often bestowed upon those hailing from or residing in National Member Organization (NMO) countries.
For all those raring to join the 2024 cohort, applications are now live, with the closing date being 12 January 2024 (midnight CEST). Applicants must ensure receipt of two reference letters, by 24 hours post the application deadline.
Eager to embark on this transformative journey? Apply directly through the YSSP application portal.
For a detailed insight into the program and its nuances, delve deeper into IIASA’s YSSP page.
All the best in your pursuit!