Lagos State University Centre for Afro-Brazilian Studies (LASUCAS) is currently extending an invitation for applications from eligible candidates. This esteemed institution offers an array of educational programs that cater to a wide range of academic interests and professional aspirations, particularly in the realms of Afro-Brazilian studies and language proficiency.
CELPE-BRAS Training: A Steppingstone to Scholarships in Brazil
Understanding the CELPE-BRAS Examination
The Government of Brazil generously grants scholarships in multiple disciplines to a substantial number of Nigerian students each academic year. However, to qualify for these scholarships, one must successfully pass the CELPE-Bras examination, which certifies proficiency in the Portuguese language for non-native speakers.
Admission Requirements for CELPE-BRAS Training
To be deemed eligible for this program, applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Academic Qualifications: Must possess at least five credits in WAEC/SSCE.
- Age Bracket: Should be between 17 and 23 years old for Undergraduate Scholarship opportunities.
- Educational Background: For Postgraduate Scholarship eligibility, a minimum of a 2nd Class Honours (lower division) is required.
The CELPE-BRAS Training program extends for six months.
Diploma in Portuguese and Brazilian Studies: A Foundation for Linguistic Excellence
Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- A minimum of four credits in the General Certificate of Education (G.C.E.) ordinary level, including English, obtained at not more than two sittings.
- Three credits acquired in one sitting alongside five years of work experience in a reputable corporation or government institution.
- Mature candidates who are over 35 years old with three credits obtained in one sitting.
This course is designed as a part-time program spanning four semesters, equivalent to two academic years.
Certificate in Portuguese and Brazilian Studies: A Gateway to Global Opportunities
Prospective students must possess:
- Three credits in either WASC or GCE O-Level, including English, at not more than two sittings.
- Alternatively, three credits obtained in one sitting and five years of work experience in a corporate or governmental establishment are acceptable.
The program is composed of two modules, each lasting for three months, culminating in a six-month part-time course.
Proficiency Certificate in Yoruba for Non-Native Speakers: An Intercultural Exploration
Applicants must fulfill at least one of the following:
- A minimum secondary school certificate for foreign applicants.
- A minimum of three credits in WAEC or NECO for Nigerian applicants.
- Graduates of higher educational institutions from any discipline.
Note: Proficiency in Yoruba is not a mandatory requirement.
Duration of the Course
The program is an eight-week full-time course.
How to Apply: Step-by-Step Application Guide
Interested candidates can obtain the application form from the Lagos State University website (https://www.lasu.edu.ng/lasucas) for Ten Thousand Naira (N10,000.00) only. For the Proficiency Certificate in Yoruba, the application fee for foreigners stands at Fifty Dollars ($50.00).
For additional information, please consult the LASU Centre for Afro-Brazilian Studies located on the 2nd floor, Babatunde Raji Fashola Senate Building, LASU Main Campus, Ojo. You may also contact:
- Prof Tayo Ajayi: +234-806-3323-910
- Mrs V.O. Opaleye: +234-803-3441-685
Please note that the closing date for application submissions is six weeks from the date of this publication.
All the best in your pursuit!