The African Change Narrative Storytellers’ Fellowship 2024 offers an exceptional opportunity for early career journalists and broadcasters across Africa. If you’re passionate about telling authentic African stories and shedding light on the continent’s true essence, this fellowship is tailored for you. It aims to disrupt the prevailing negative media stereotypes about Africa, often perpetuated by Western media, and replace them with narratives that highlight the continent’s hope, resilience, and positive impact.
Redefining Africa’s Media Image
The fellowship, supported by Africa No Filter, seeks to cultivate a new generation of journalists, storytellers, and content creators. These individuals will be equipped to challenge and change the often-negative portrayal of Africa as a continent plagued by corruption, wars, famine, and despair. The goal is to bring forth stories that truly represent Africa’s positive and impactful facets.
Fellowship Structure and Benefits
The fellowship is divided into two cohorts:
- West and Central Africa Cohort: Open to participants from West Africa.
- East, Northern, and Southern Africa Cohort: This includes applicants from these specific regions.
Benefits of the Fellowship
- Certification: Receive a certificate of completion.
- Financial Support: A story writing grant, the amount of which will be disclosed to selected fellows.
- Networking Opportunities: Build professional relationships with fellow journalists and broadcasters from across Africa.
- Professional Background: Open to early career journalists and broadcasters based in Africa.
- Course Completion: Applicants must complete a 3-hour+ course on guiding to tell African Stories and provide email evidence of completion.
- Availability: Be available for a one-time virtual training/masterclass session and subsequent mentoring sessions.
- Commitment to Storytelling: Willingness to write two change narrative stories about Africans making a difference.
- Editorial Support: A letter of commitment from your editor/producer is required.
- Deadline: The application closing date is December 5, 2023. Selections will be made on a rolling basis until all spaces are filled.
- How to Apply: Click here to apply
For more detailed information, visit the African Change Narrative Storytellers’ Fellowship page.
This fellowship is more than an educational or professional opportunity; it’s a call to action for aspiring African journalists who wish to make a significant impact in the media landscape. By participating in the African Change Narrative Storytellers’ Fellowship, you have the chance to be at the forefront of reshaping Africa’s story in global media, highlighting the continent’s rich, diverse, and positive aspects. If you’re ready to be a part of this transformative journey, apply now and begin your path as a champion of Africa’s change narrative.
All the best in your pursuit!